Equipe PLANETOLOGIE - Laboratoire LAGRANGE
office : PHCN-06
adress : P.H.C.
Boulevard de l'Observatoire
CS 34229 06304 Nice Cedex 4
phone : +33 4 92 00 39 64
web : http://benoit.carry.free.fr
I am a planetary scientist working at the Lagrange laboratory of the Observatoire de la Côte d'Azur (OCA) and the Institut de Mécanique Céleste et de Calcul des Éphémérides (IMCCE), Paris Observatory. I study the small bodies of our solar system, remnants of the early stages of planetary formation. I am in particular interested in binary systems, small body density, and surface composition. I am involved in many observing programs on small and large telescopes.
I am a CNAP assistant astronomer, and my activities encompass research, research, teaching, outreach actions, and community services.
- Gaia (ESA): Member of the Data Processing and Analysis Consortium (DPAC) of the ESA Gaia astrometry mission. Leader of the DU459 (the Gaia Follow-Up Network of Solar System Objets), the development unit within DPAC in charge of the dissemination of alerts on newly discovered solar system objects.
- Euclid (ESA): co-chair (with Bruno Altieri, ESA) of the Solar System Working Group within the Euclid consortium. The aim of this group is to deliver catalogs of astrometry and photometry together with spectral classification for about 105 small bodies as Legacy Science.
- HERA (ESA): co-chair the Working Group related to ground-based observations of Dydimos, target of the DART (NASA) and HERA (ESA) missions.
- HARISSA: we are currently conducting an ESO Large Program (ID 199.C-0074, PI P. Vernazza) to image a substantial fraction of main-belt asteroids larger than 100 km in diameter, sampling the main compositional classes. We aim at investigating the internal structure cratering history of these primordial bodies from the ground.
- NEOROCKS: I am responsible for the data mining of near-Earth asteroids within the European project NEOROCKS.
- Max Mahlke - PhD student - On a new compositional classification of asteroids from heterogeneous data sets.
- Alexey Sergeyev - Post-doctoral fellow - On Near-Earth Asteroids within NEOROCKS.
- Dmitrii Vavilov - Post-doctoral fellow - On binary asteroids and doublet craters.
The homogeneous internal-structure of CM-like asteroid (41) Daphne
B. Carry et al., Astronomy & Astrophysics 623, A132, doi:10.1051/0004-6361/201833898, 2020.
Solar System Science with ESA Euclid
B. Carry, Astronomy & Astrophysics 609, A113, doi:10.1051/0004-6361/201730386, 2018.
Density of asteroids
B. Carry, Planetary & Space Science 73, p. 98-118, doi:10.1016/j.pss.2012.03.009, 2012.
Solar System evolution from compositional mapping of the asteroid belt
F. DeMeo & B. Carry, Nature 505, Issue 7485, pp. 629-634, doi:10.1038/nature12908, 2013.
The taxonomic distribution of asteroids from multi-filter all-sky photometric surveys
F. DeMeo & B. Carry, Icarus 226, pp. 723-741, doi:110.1016/j.icarus.2013.06.027, 2014.
Near-infrared mapping and physical properties of the dwarf-planet Ceres
B. Carry et al., Astronomy & Astrophysics 478, pp. 235-244, doi:10.1051/0004-6361:20078166, 2008.