Researcher in Astronomy (permanent position)
office : UMR LAGRANGE PHCS-17
adress : P.H.C
Boulevard de l'Observatoire
06304 Nice Cedex 4
phone : +33 4 92 00 30 51
Born in Italy on May, 2, 1966
Education*Master degree in Physics at the University of Milan (Italy) - 1988
*Ph. D. in Mathematics at the University FUNDP of Namur (Belgium) - 1991
- Celestial Mechanics
- Small Body dynamics
- Solar System formation
- Extrasolar Planets
- Theory of Hamiltonian Dynamical Systems
Honors*Young Scientist Scientific Award: European Geophysical Society, 1994.
*Bronze medal: C.N.R.S., 1995
*ICARUS Editor's Letter of Commendation, 1996.
*asteroid 5596 1991PQ10 named Morbidelli, 1996.
*Urey prize of the Division for Planetary Sciences of the A.A.S., 2000.
*Grand Prix Mergier-Bourdeix of the French Academy of Science, 2009
*Grand Prix Doyen Lepine de la Ville de Nice, 2014.
*Elected Associate Member of the Royal Academy of Belgium, 2014.
*Elected Associate Member of the French Academy of Sciences 2015.
* Co-editor of Icarus, for papers on dynamics (since Jan. 2000)
* Associate editor of Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy (since Jan. 2001)
* Director of the French National Programme for Planetary Science (PNP) (2010-2018)
* Correspondent member of Bureau des Longitudes
* Deputy Director of Laboratoire Lagrange, Nice (2012-2015); Acting director (2015)
* President of IAU commission 7 (2012-2015)
* Co-editor of the book The Solar System Beyond Neptune (Univ. Arizona Press)
* referee for Icarus, Celestial Mechanics, Astronomical Journal, Physica D, Astronomy and Astropysics, Planetary and Space Science, Meteoritics and Planetary Science, Science, Nature, Astrophysical Journal....
*external reviewer for the OSS and PGG programs of NASA, panels PE9 and PE10 of ERC
*co-organizer of Session PS10 of the EGS Assembly (Nice, April 20, 1998).
*member of the Scientific Organization Committee of:
-US-European Celestial Mechanics Workshop (Poznan, Poland, July 2000)
-Asteroid III book.
-winter school of C.N.R.S. Chronology of Solar System formation
(Les Houches, France, January 2001)
-winter school of C.N.R.S. Chronology of Solar System formation II
(Aussois, France, February 2004)
-winter school of C.N.R.S. Chronology of Solar System formation IV
(Les Houches, France, February 2009)
-winter school of C.N.R.S. Chronology of Solar System formation V
(Les Houches, France, February 2013)
- TNO meeting (Catania 2006)
- 40th ESLAB symposium "Impact cratering in the Solar System" (ESTEC, May 2006)
- IAU Symposium 236 "Near Earth Objects, our Celestial Neighbors: Opportunity and Risk" (Prague, 2006)
- NOBEL symposium "Physics of Planetary Systems" (2007)
- Planet-Z conference `Origin and Evolution of planets', Ascona (Italy), 2008.
- Newton Institute Programme `Dynamics of Discs and Planets', Cambridge, Aug. 12 - Dec 18. 2009.
- TNO 2010, Philadelphia, June 2010
- Extreme Solar Systems II, September 2011
- IAU symposium "Complex Planetary Systems", Namur (Belgium), 2014.
- ISSI meeting "The Delivery of Water to Proto-planets, Planets and Satellites", 2016
* Co-organizer of the Programme `Dynamics of Discs and Planets' of Newton Institute, Cambridge (UK) (2009).
* principal scientist for the phase-A study of the EUNEOS mission, an ESA mission for the discovery of Near Earth Asteroids.
* chair of the Local Organizing Committee of the 2004 meeting of the Division on Dynamical Astronomy of the American Astronomical Society
* member of the SOC of ASSNA(Action Specifique Simulations Numeriques en Astronomie)
* member of the TAC of the CFH telescope (2004-2005)
* member of the scientific council of the Marseille-Provence Observatory (2005-2007), of IMCCE and Cassiopee (since 2008)
* president of the evaluation committee of IMCCE (2004), Luth (2017), Ipag (2020)
* member of the evaluation committees of : Observatoire de Paris, LAOG (2005), LGL-TPL (2015), OSUG (2020)
* member of CSA (Commission Specialisee en Astronomie)(2006, 2010-)
* member of the Solar System Working Group of CNES (since 2006)
* member of the Committee of the Division on Dynamical Astronomy of the AmericanAstronomical Society(2006-2007); chair of the Brouwer award selection committee (2007)
* Member of the "Exo-Planet Roadmap Advisory Team" of ESA (2008-2009)
* Member of the prize selection committee of the DPS (2009-2010)
* Member of the visiting committee of the Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences at Caltech (2010)
* Member of the visiting committee of Carnegie's Department for Terrestrial Magnetism (2015)
* Member of the "Haut Conseil Scientifique" of Paris Observatory(2012-2014)
* Member of the ANR committee CE31 (2016-)
* Coordinator of the Center for Planetary Origin (C4PO)
Teaching and Advisor responsibilities- Master lectures on Celestial Mechanics, University of Nice - Sophia Antipolis (1993-1997)
- Master lectures on Planet Formation, University of Nice - Sophia Antipolis (2008-)
- Cycle of lectures "Secular dyanimcs of the small bodies of the Solar System" (6h), Observatory of LaPlata (2000)
- Cycle of lectures "Solar System Small Bodies" (5h), Observatory of Rio de Janeiro (2001)
- Cycle of lectures "origin and evolution of planeetary systems" (4.5h) Como and Vilnus, 2016
- Cycle of lectures (3h) "Solar system formation and early evolution", ISSS Course on Planetary Interiors, September 2016
- Ph.D. advisor/co-advisor of:
B. Gladman (1996-1997 and 1998-1999)
D. Nesvorny (1998-1999 and 2000-2001)
H. Morais (2000-2001)
K. Tsiganis (2002-2004)
D. O'brien (2005)
R. Brasser (2008-2011)
K. Walsh (2009-2010)
S. Marchi (2010-2011)
B. Bitsch (2011-2013)
S. Jacobson (2013-2016)
A. Izidoro da Costa (2013-2014)
K. Pahlevan (2013-2015)
M. Ogihara (2014-2016)
M. Lambrechts (2015-2017)
R. Deienno (2016)
Invited lectures in international meetings*Integrability and Chaotic behaviour (NATO ASI advanced research workshop), Torun, Poland, 1993;
*SIAM meeting, Snowbird, Utah, 1995;
*4th A. von Humboldt Colloquium, Ramsau, Austria, 1996;
*Kuiper Belt Workshop, Toronto, Canada, 1996;
*IAU colloquium No. 165, Poznan, Poland, 1996;
*Asteroid Comets Meteors '96, Versailles, France, 1996;
*Planetary Systems: the long view, 9th Blois international meeting, Blois, France, 1997;
*Interactions between Planets and Small Bodies, Joint Discussion, IAU general assembly, Kyoto, Japan, 1997;
*1st Rio de Janeiro international workshop on Planetary Sciences, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, 1997;
*The impact of modern dynamics in astronomy, IAU colloquium No. 172, Namur, Belgium, 1998;
*Evolution and Source regions of Asteroids and Comets, IAU colloquium No. 173, Tatranska Lomnica, Slovak Republic, 1998;
*Asteroid Comets Meteors '99, Ithaca, U.S.A., 1999;
*DPS Meeting, Abano, Italy, 1999;
*US-European Celestial Mechanics workshop, Poznan, Poland, 2000;
*DPS Meeting, Pasadena, Ca, USA, 2000;
*Sixth International Space Collaboration. A.I.A.A. workshop, Seville,Spain, 2001;
*Asteroids 2001, Palermo, Italy, 2001;
*Formation of Solar Systems, Gordon Conference, Connecticut, USA, 2001.
*Fall meeting, American Geophysical Union, San Francisco, USA, 2001.
*EGS meeting, Nice, France, 2002
*EKB workshop (Antofagasta, Chile, 2003)
*JENAM 2003, Budapest, Hungaria, 2003
*New geometry of Nature, Kazan, Russia, 2003
*KITP program "Planet Formation: Terrestrial and Extra-Solar", Santa Barbara, U.S.A., 2004
*Astrophysics of Planetary Systems, Harvard, USA, 2004
*COSPAR meeting, Paris, France, 2004
*IAU Colloquium 197 "Dynamics of populations of planetary systems", Belgrade, Serbia, 2004
*Saas-Fee Advanced Course on "Trans-Neptunian Objects and Comets", Wengen, Switzerland, 2005
*JENAM 2005, Liege, Belgium, 2005
*Protostars Planets V, Hawaii, 2005
*TNO meeting (Catania 2006)
*40th ESLAB symposium "Impact cratering in the Solar System" (ESTEC, May 2006)
*IAU Symposium 236 "Near Earth Objects, our Celestial Neighbors: Opportunity and Risk" (Prague, August, 2006)
*Planetary Science: challenges and discoveries (Blois, 2006)
*ESO workshop "Observing Planetary Systems" (Santiago, 2007)
*Division of Dynamical Astronomy meeting (Ann Harbour, 2007)
*Nobel Symposium "Physics of Planetary Systems", (Stockholm, 2007)
*Goldschmidt conference, plenary session (Cologne, 2007)
*Division of Planetary Science meeting (Orlando, 2007)
*Workshop `Chronology of meteorites and the early Solar System', Kauai (2007)
*ETH international conference "Origin and Evolution of Planets" (Ascona, 2008)
*ESLAB symposium "Cosmic Cataclysm and Life" (ESRIN, 2008)
*TIARA workshop on DIM KBOS (Taiwan, 2008)
*LinFest conference (60th anniversary of D. Lin celebration), Prato, June 2009.
*MetSoc Conference (Nancy, 2009)
*IAU symposium "Icy bodies of the Solar System" (Rio de Janeiro, 2009)
*IAU Symposium nr. 269 "Galileo's Medicean Moons: their Impact on 400 years of Discovery", Padova, January, 2010.
*ESF Conference "Putting Our Solar System in Context: Origin, Dynamical and Physical Evolution of Multiple Planet Systems", Austria, April, 2010
*SIAM/RSME-SCM-SEMAMeeting:"Emerging Topics in Dynamical Systems and Partial Differential Equations", Barcelona, May, 2010
*Workshop in honor of P. Farinella, Pisa, June 2010
*Europlanet Science Conference, Rome, September 2010.
*XV Brazilian Colloquium of Orbital Dynamics, Theresopolis (BR), Dec. 2010
*The 15th International Conference on Gravitational Microlensing, Salerno, Jan 2011.
*WE-Heraeus Seminar on Extrasolar Planets, Bad Honnef, June 2011.
*ORIGINS 2011, Montpellier, July 2011.
*Gordon Conference on the origins of solar systems, Mt. Holyoke College, July 2011.
*Observing Planetary Systems, ESO, Santiago, March 2012
*Goldschmidt conference, section "Chemical and isotopic constraints on planetary accretion and differentiation", Montreal, June 2012.
*Conference: “Planet formation and evolution”, Munich, September 2012
*Royal Society Meeting on Extrasolar Planets, London, March 2013
*Royal Society Meeting on Moon Origin, London, September, 2013
*First Cospar Symposium, Bangkok, November 2013.
*Invited lecture at "Academie Royale de Belgique", January 11, 2014
*ELSI workshop "Origin and Evolution of the Earth-Life System.", Tokyo, March 2014
*ACM, Helsinki, June 2014
*Characterizing Planetary Systems Across the HR Diagram, Cambridge (UK), July 2014.
*Lobanov-Rostovsky Lecture, Oxford (UK), Decembeer 2014.
*International Workshop in Jacques Laskar's honour, Paris, Arpil 2015.
*Workshop "Formation of the Solar System II", Berlin, June 2015.
*IAU FM318 « Highlights in the exploration of Small Worlds », Honolulu, August, 2015.
*COSPAR symposium, Iguazu, Nov. 9-13, 2015
*Workshop "Planet formation and Evolution", Duisburg, March 2016
*Workshop "Primitive material in the solar system II", Villefranche sur Mer, juin, 2016
*Royal Society Discussion Meeting: Cometary Science after Rosetta, June 2016
*Lorentz workshop "New Directions in planet formation", July, 2016
*COMETS 2016, Toulouse, Nov. 2016
*Gordon conference, Mount Holyo, June 2017
20,200 citations and H-factor=76 (source ADS Sept 11, 2020)
-1 book: Modern Celestial Mechanics; Aspects of Solar System Dynamics. Taylor & Francis/Cambridge Scientific Publishers.
THE BOOK IS SOLD OUT. DOWNLOAD A FREE PDF COPY!
Mt. Rosa (4550mt) - Italy- Sept. 2000
Mt.Blanc (4808mt) - France- June 2004
Lyskamm (4527m) - Italy - July 2015
OUR GROUP'S WEBPAGE !
THE C4PO RESEARCH CONSORTIUM
Data associated to the manuscript Contemporary formation of early solar system planetesimals at two distinct radial locations, in press in Nature Astronomy
THE MOJO PROJECT OUTREACH VIDEOS:
- Part 0: Introduction
- Part 1: Stages of planet formation: current paradigms
- Part 2: How common are Solar Systems?
- Part 3: Why is Jupiter so much bigger than Earth?
- Part 4: Why is Mars smaller than Earth?
- Part 5: Why is Earth so dry?
- Part 6: Where did Earth’s water come from?
- Part 7: How do super-Earths form?
- Part 8: Why super-Earths cannot have formed “in-situ” ?
- Part 9: Why aren’t there any close-in Super-Earths in the Solar System?
- Part 10: Unsolved mysteries in planet formation
- Bonus: The origin of the interstellar object Oumuamua
- Solar system formation - Part I: constraints (1h20)
- Solar System formation - Part II: models and scenarios (1h30)
THE HOLYEARTH ERC PROJECT